People in romantic relationships often overlook the danger of jealousy.
Sometimes people overlook it because they feel like a person doesn’t really love them if they don’t show a hint of jealousy in certain situations.
I’ve even heard women say things along the lines of: “It makes me feel loved when he gets jealous about me talking to other men or guys looking at me when we’re out.”
True. A hint of jealousy from your man every now and then can make you feel desirable. However, jealousy is not a sign of healthy love.
As a woman who is strong in faith, I value The Bible’s position on jealousy and how toxic it is for love.
Here are six Bible quotes that explain the hazards of jealousy and how it can put your relationship in jeopardy.
1. Proverbs 6:34- ‘For jealousy makes a man furious, and he will not spare when he takes revenge.’
This is a good one because it bluntly tells you the danger you’re in when you’re dealing with the spirit of a jealous man.
It may seem innocent when you start to see the early warning signs. However, as time goes on, it always gets worse. When you don’t check that jealous spirit at the door, it can cost you a lot of things, even your life.
2. Proverbs 14:30- ‘A tranquil heart gives life to the flesh, but envy makes the bones rot.’
Gotta love Proverbs. I put a second verse from this Bible book because it is so important. It tells you about the benefits of having tranquility in your heart and how those benefits make you whole. This verse also tells how unhealthy envy is and how it is a bad spirit to be.
Jealousy is not just spiritually bad for you. It is physically harmful as well.
3. James 3:16- ‘For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.’
This verse basically tells you that the spirit of jealousy will hinder everything positive that you try to do. Order, stability, and consistency is what everyone desires in a relationship.
A jealous heart can make it very hard to experience those things and carry on in love with a degree of confidence and strength.
4. Song of Solomon 8:6- ‘Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the LORD.’
As human beings, we are taught by The Scripture about the danger of having jealousy in our hearts for other human beings. This verse urgently explains the deadly nature of jealousy.
Faith teaches that The Creator is the only one worthy of burning with the flame of vengeance against those who side with the enemy of our God.
5. James 3:14-15- ‘But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic.’
This verse teaches about how envy can also co-exist with other bad traits like lying and selfishness. All of these characteristics are extremely toxic in a relationship. Tolerating these traits in a person will eventually take away from the value you have in yourself.
Once that happens, it becomes impossible to value or love someone else.
6. 1 Corinthians 13:4- ‘Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant.’
This verse is last on the list, but it is certainly not least. It comes from The Love Chapter, which is my favorite chapter of The Bible.
When entering into a relationship for the first time or when rekindling a long lost love, it is important to remember the beauty of taking your time and having humility.
I convey this message to you: When we engage in love with a person, we must do so with a heart and soul that is healthy and pure.
Jealousy is not a sign of either…
If you feel your lover is overly obsessive and jealous, please talk to someone about it. Try talking to them first if you can. We have to quickly check the spirit of jealousy at the door… It’s a sign that things in your relationship could end off badly.